Monday, October 10, 2011

Working Moms: Hold Your Head High!

Every now and then, I find myself feeling guilty for not being constantly available to my son. It's been awhile since I've posted anything. Probably because, I work ridiculous hours and try to soak up every free second with my little guy. Just peering back at my last post, I think I was wrong...I am a superhero!

Sorry if that last remark seems egotistical, but it seems appropriate to deem working moms with this title. Somehow, I manage to get up at 6am, get ready, iron, help pack for my son's day, watch Sprout, make a coffee, hop in car, sit in traffic, hold a position that requires me to be in a million places at one time, juggling 50,000 things, grocery shop on my lunch break, sit in traffic, pick-up my child, hold a dance party, walk two miles, cook dinner, play with blocks, play with the dog, say prayers, and peacefully get him to sleep, do the laundry, wash dishes, other random chores each day, watch a sitcom, type a blog, then go to bed. That's pretty impressive.

Once those thoughts of guilt pop into my head, I have to give myself a reality check and remind myself that I am one heck of a role model. That my child will see first hand what hard work is. I have to remember how social he is and how independent he is becoming. Our time together is precious and fun. His smile gets me through the work day and gives me a purpose in life.

Working moms shouldn't feel like their child is missing out. It's not the truth. Whether you are a fortunate enough to have one parent at home during the day (my husband and I work opposite shifts), or have a relative or other qualified childcare professional, your child is going to be just fine. If anything, remind yourself how well rounded they are or will become. Think about the time your child has to play with others and how he/she will be challenged in unique ways. Every person your child is exposed to will give them new insight.

And for those of you who like going to work (me)...don't be ashamed. Even if I had all the money in the world, I would at least work part-time. It's healthy to get out and have an identity other than 'mom'. After all, you had a purpose prior to child birth, why should that go away after. Being 'mom' is my number one role, but I was Stephanie first and I'm not willing to let that go. Moms can have dreams and goals, hobbies and careers. So be proud that you go to work, put the bread on the table, and can rock a pencil skirt and oxford like it's nobody's business.

No comments:

Post a Comment