Saturday, April 24, 2010

The thrill of the hunt...

There is nothing in life that I appreciate more than a good deal. I could have $1 million in my pocket and still barter at yard sales. With our darling little boy on the way, I have an excuse to shop, but a very small budget to work with.

A friend called me this morning and told me about a town-wide yard sale. I couldn't have been more thrilled...Mike on the other hand looked nauseous. Fortunately for him, my mother called and decided to take his place. I was nervous.

If you know anything about the relationship my mother and I share, you know it's chaotic, manic, and psychotic; yet somewhere, there's still room for a bizarre form of love. She couldn't be happier about her future grandchild, nor could she be more excited to share her ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

Although my mother typically has good intentions, she is like a whirl wind of energy that can suck the life out of you. She pulls up to my house like a mad woman, blaring music in her mustang convertible. Instantly, she storms into the house blabbling about baby clothes, grabbing ultrasound photos, scanning the house, and analyzing the future nursery. "What color are you going to paint it, you should have let me pick out the crib, blah ba blah ba blah...something else, blah." Instantly I tense up and become defensive. I'm not painting the nursery, it's a neutral color already. I would rather put money aside for college. Why don't you look at the big picture. I don't want my child paying $600 a month for college loans like me. Why do you always have to state your opinion?

To top it all off, my young mother is also partially deaf. As we depart...a SECOND time, because I lost my debit card and couldn't make it to the ATM, I ask "Are you sure you want to go to this?", her response..."No". I yell back "Fine, I'm turning around!" What she heard- "Do you know how to get there from here?" Eventually all was resolved and we were on our way.

Armed with a map of the town and a listing of sales, all tension immediately faded as we approached the first home. We scanned through boxes of items in search of nothing in particular. We reestablished a bond as we made absurd offers on expensive items, and walked away victorious on many occasions. We guessed where the wealthy developments were located and scored a car full of baby items, way too many lamps, and other random items.

More importantly, we got along really well for the first time in years. Beyond bringing my husband and I even closer together, this little boy is bringing my mother and I together. We joked about baby names, and the attractive men, in the giant homes, with the large-butted wives. My mother teased old men trying to sell her total garbage and snuck free kid toys into the back seat of my car while I wasn't looking.

We arrived back at my home tired, but impressed with ourselves.

The score- $43.00 purchased:
  • A practically new bassinet, remote operated, that rocks, plays music, lights up and has a rotating mobile
  • 2 nursery monitors (one not even opened)
  • Complete bedding set (bumpers, comforter, sheets, the works) in mint condition
  • New changing pad
  • Vibrating baby chair
  • Baby tub- with infant holder and shower attachment piece
  • 3D activity play-mat that plays music and lights up. (New)
  • Baby bjorn infant holder (Mike's going to look very sexy rocking this item)
  • Giant Teddy Bear
  • 2 pairs of new baby shoes
  • Some fleece device that is suppose to attach to the car seat during the winter to keep him warm
  • and a bunch of practically new toys that won't be used for a year or so

There is nothing better than sweet success.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you... you little deal master! i love it! im glad that the lil man can bring you and your mom closer! thats really an amazing thing! its crazy how a baby can bring a whole family together! so when i get preggo will you come out here with me and go yard sale shopping! i need your skills ! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. I'm so glad you went with your Mom. This is a wonderful time of your life! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete